L-glutamine is a natural amino acid that is vital for muscle growth, maintaining a healthy digestive system and supporting brain function. L-glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body and is an important building block of protein. It has been categorised as a conditionally essential amino acid that is required in greater amounts during times of extreme stress, physical trauma, illness and muscle wasting. Our Glutamine Pure comes in a highly absorbable powder form and contains a whopping 5 grams of L-glutamine per teaspoon.
The benefits of L-glutamine:
- Gut repair: The cells in the small intestine use L-glutamine as their major fuel source to promote healing. This amino acid may help to reduce inflammation and repair the intestinal lining in those with leaky gut, food sensitives and inflammatory bowel disease. In cases of leaky gut (intestinal permeability) there are gaps between the cells of the intestinal lining that can allow toxins and food particles to leak through, which can cause inflammation. L-glutamine may help to bridge the gaps between the cells to strengthen the gut lining.
- Muscle recovery: When L-glutamine is taken around the time of exercise, it may help to fuel the muscle cells to reduce muscle fatigue and could improve muscle recovery. L-glutamine has been shown to stimulate muscle growth and repair, particularly in cases of muscle wasting. Glutamine Pure may help those who exercise regularly to boost performance.
- Improved immunity: L-glutamine is required for the production and division of immune cells such as lymphocytes. These immune cells are responsible for fighting off bacteria to avoid an infection. Low levels of this amino acid have been associated with low immunity and increased risk of infection. Supplementing with L-glutamine may help to boost immunity.
- Wound healing: When the body gets an injury such as a burn, it releases cortisol (the stress hormone) into the body. Cortisol can deplete L-glutamine stores and could increase the risk of infection. Studies have shown that this amino acid may help to support wound healing and prevent infections, particularly after surgery or severe burns.
- Detoxification: L-glutamine helps to form glutathione, the most powerful antioxidant in the body. L-glutamine is required for the liver detoxification pathways and helps to support the removal of toxins and waste products (such as excess ammonia) from the body. This amino acid could be used as part of a detox regime.
- Brain health: L-glutamine is essential for the production of glutamic acid and GABA, which are important neurotransmitters in the brain. These brain chemicals are needed for healthy brain development and function. L-glutamine could help to boost brain function and has been referred to as the "thinkers amino acid".
- Supporting side effects of medical treatment: L-glutamine could be used to help support the side effects of some medical treatments, such as chemotherapy. It may help to reduce side effects such as joint pain, diarrhoea, infections and nerve pain. L-glutamine may also assist in recovery after a bone marrow transplant.
Glutamine Pure may help with:
- Leaky gut
- Wound healing
- Exercise performance
- Muscular injury
- Recovery after surgery
- Food sensitivities
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Reflux and heartburn
- Brain fog
- Absorption issues
- Muscle wasting
- Adults: 1 metric teaspoon dissolved in a glass of water or juice, once or twice daily.
- Children over 5: 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dissolved in a glass of water or juice, once or twice daily.
Cautions and contraindications:
Patients should consult their healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist.
L-glutamine 1 gram per gram. No other ingredients. Each 5 mL metric teaspoon provides 5000 mg (5 grams) of pure L-glutamine.